Union Terms of Service
Last revised: October 11, 2019
Welcome to Union. We provide a platform designed to serve entrepreneurs and accelerate innovation globally. We do this through by working with the communities that you are a part of, including accelerators and other innovation programs.
Users of this website may open an account as a “Member” (who are looking for education, advice and connections signing up either directly to Union or through a Community Manager), as a “Mentor” (an individual with relevant expertise who offers advice to Members and Startups), as a “Partner” (an individual at a corporate or government entity looking to connect with entrepreneurs), or as an Organization or Community Manager (staff of a customer that uses Union to manage its members, applicants, mentors, partners and other stakeholders).
By using Union, including by simply viewing content on the Site, you are agreeing that you, and each person you allow to access Union through your account, will abide by the terms of this Terms of Service (“Agreement”), which is set forth in its entirety below. This Agreement is between you and Union (“we,” “Union” or the “Company”), and it governs your access to and use of the services, websites, and features offered by Union (the “Services”). Your access to and use of the Services are conditioned on your acceptance of and compliance with this Agreement.
The Site is not directed to any person in any jurisdiction where (by reason of that person’s nationality, residence or otherwise) the publication or availability of the Site is prohibited. Persons in respect of whom such prohibitions apply must not access the Site.
Capitalized terms used herein are defined in this Introduction or in the “Definitions” section of this Agreement.
By using Services, you promise:
- That you have the right, authority, and capacity to enter into this Agreement on your own behalf and on behalf on any entity for whom you are acting and to abide by all of the terms and conditions contained herein, and that if any aspect of your participation in Union violates provisions of the law to which you are subject, you will cease using the Services and close your account;
- That you are at least 13 years old, and that if you are less than 18 years old, your parent or legal guardian has agreed to stand behind any agreement you enter into as a participant on Union;
- That you shall not use a false name or email address owned or controlled by another person with the intent to impersonate that person or for any other reason;
- That you shall be solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password;
- That you will conduct yourself in a professional manner in all your interactions with Union and with any other Union user.
- That you will only provide Union with Content that you have a right to provide to Union and to allow Union to display through the Services.
- That you have adequate rights to all copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, intellectual property or other material provided by you for display by Union.
- That you understand that any other Content you find on or through Union is the sole responsibility of the person who originated such Content;
- That you understand that your Content may be republished and if you do not have the right to submit Content for such use, it may subject you to liability, and that Union will not be responsible or liable for any use of your Content by Union in accordance with this Agreement;
- That you are not relying on Union to, and that you understand that we do not, endorse, support, represent or guarantee the completeness, truthfulness, accuracy or reliability of any Content or communications posted via the Services or endorse any opinions expressed via the Services;
- That you understand that by using the Services, you may be exposed to Content that might be offensive, harmful, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate, and that you have no claim against Union for any such material; and
- That you understand that the Service may include advertisements or other similar items, which may be related to Content, queries made through the Services, or other information, and you have no claim against Union for the placement of advertising or similar content on the Services or in connection with the display of any Content or other information from the Services.
By using Services, you promise not to:
- Violate the Platform Rules of Union, as defined in “Definitions”; Expect Union to evaluate, confirm or otherwise stand behind any user’s statements;
- Treat any Content, email or other information you receive as a result of your access to the Services as a recommendation or representation of any kind by Union, an affiliate of Union or any employee, officer, director, representative or other agent of the foregoing (each a “Company Person”) on which you should rely unless such information has been expressly identified as created by a Company Person;
- Claim any ownership right in any material, software or other intellectual property displayed on, published by or otherwise available through Union, other than Content, software or intellectual property that you own or otherwise have rights to without regard for its appearance on Union;
- Copy or distribute Content except as specifically allowed in this Agreement;
- Use any Content, or other information acquired from Company Persons, Mentors, Partners or Startups, or otherwise through your use of the Services, for commercial or investment activity outside of the Services, without prior written approval from the Company;
- Claim any right to access, view or alter any source code or object code of Union;
- Use Union to market services, particularly investment advisory services that might cause Union to have to register as a broker dealer or investment adviser with the SEC, or to be treated as an underwriter; or
- Market competing services to people you’ve identified through Union.
Other User Obligations:
- You are promising to hold the Company harmless against any damage that may happen to us as a result of your use of Union.
- You agree to indemnify and hold the Company and any Company Person harmless (including against costs and attorneys’ fees) from any claim or demand made by any third party due to or arising out of your access to or use of the Services, the violation of this Agreement by you, the infringement by you, or any third party using your account, of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity, or for any Content posted through the Services by you (including claims related to defamation, invasion of privacy or other violation of a person’s rights). Your obligations under the foregoing indemnity may not be offset against any other claim you may have against the Company or any Company Person. You remain solely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise disseminate using, or in connection with the Services. You agree that the provisions in this paragraph will survive any termination of your account(s) or the Services.
- You hereby release any claims you may have against Union and any Company Person that are in any way related to the Services or your use of Content, including any representations, recommendations or referrals you may receive as a result of your registration with Union. You are solely responsible for your use of the Services, for any Content you provide, and for any consequences thereof, including the use of your Content by other users and third party partners. You understand that Company Persons may participate in the Services, and that Union is not responsible for any of their activities, including statements or other information in any emails or other communications such individuals make in that capacity.
- You promise to comply with the terms of the license set forth in this “Company Services and License” section of this Agreement.
- You are licensing to us the right to publish all Content you upload to Union, including any comments or other discussion posts you may offer on the Site in order to provide the Services. Your Content will be viewable by other users of the Services and may be available through third party services and websites. You should only provide Content that you are comfortable sharing with others.
- To the extent that Union is determined, for any reason, not to be the licensee of any material you have provided to us, including all rights of paternity, integrity, disclosure and withdrawal and any other rights that may be known as or referred to as “moral rights,” “artist’s rights,” “droit moral,” or the like (collectively “Moral Rights”), you hereby ratify and consent to any action that may be taken with respect to such Moral Rights by or authorized by Union and agree not to assert any Moral Rights with respect thereto. You further agree that you will confirm any such ratifications, consents and agreements from time to time as requested by the Company.
- You acknowledge that Union is not obligated to pay you or to cause any other party to pay you any compensation with respect to your activities on Union, or to feature or otherwise display your Content on any web page.
- You acknowledge that you do not rely on the Company to monitor or edit the Services (including emails initiated by individuals, regardless of whether those individuals are otherwise associated with the Company) and that the Services may contain Content which you find offensive or which is untrue or misleading and you hereby waive any objections you might have with respect to viewing such content.
- You agree that this Agreement does not entitle you to any support, upgrades, updates, add-ons, patches, enhancements, or fixes for the Services (collectively, “Updates”). The Company, however, may occasionally provide automatic Updates to the Services at its sole discretion (and without any advanced notification to you). Any such Updates for the Services shall become part of the Services and subject to this Agreement.
Privacy and Protection of Personal Information
Company Services and License
License to Use the Service
All right, title, and interest in and to the Services (excluding Content provided by users) is and will remain the exclusive property of Union and its licensors. The Services are protected by copyright, trademark, and other laws of both the United States and foreign countries. Except as expressly provided herein, nothing in this Agreement gives you a right to use the Union name or any of the Union trademarks, logos, domain names or other distinctive brand features. Subject to your acceptance of this Agreement, Union grants to you a worldwide, non-assignable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable limited license to use the Services and related software, provided that you:
- Do not use the license to engage in any commercial activity;
- Do not modify the content, except as described below;
- Obtain permission for reposting any Content you discover on Union.
No Claim to Any Rights in Your Information
Company Will Display Content and Allow Communications Based on Filters
When you create an account with Union, and at any time thereafter, you are able to set a variety of filters that are intended to control who can see your information and what information you will be shown. We promise not to intentionally violate those filters, although you must recognize that we cannot guarantee that there will never be a software bug or a hacker attack that will allow unauthorized viewing of material or unsolicited contacts to occur.
Reservation of the Company's Rights
Right to Control Content
Union may, but is not required to, monitor or control the Content posted via the Services. Our failure to exercise this right does not give you any right to make a claim against Union. Any Content that has been uploaded through the Services may be deleted at any time without notice to you.
Right to Discontinue the Services
Union reserves the right to discontinue the Services or to change the Services in any way and at any time, with or without notice to you, without liability.
Right to Terminate User Access
Union reserves the right to terminate your access to the Services without notice and, if you violate this Agreement, to pursue other remedies at law or in equity. We may delete your account for any reason or for no reason at all, and if we delete your account you will lose all access to any information, connections or other features that may have value to you that may have been associated with your account.
Right to Refuse or Cancel Registration
The Company has the right to refuse registration or cancel your user account in its discretion for any reason or for no reason. In addition, the Company reserves the right at all times (but will not have an obligation) to remove or refuse to distribute any Content on the Services and to terminate users and/or reclaim usernames. We also reserve the right to access, read, preserve, and disclose any information as we reasonably believe is necessary to (i) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, (ii) enforce this Agreement (including investigation of potential violations hereof), (iii) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, (iv) respond to user support requests or (v) protect the rights, property or safety of Union, its users and the public.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you specifically acknowledge that the Company is exempt from liability to any person for any claim based upon its termination of an account or disabling of access to or removal of any Content, including material it believes, in its sole discretion to violate this Agreement, regardless of whether the material ultimately is determined to be infringing or otherwise prohibited, and regardless of whether such termination or disabling has the effect of reducing the value of any Content or opportunities that might otherwise have been available to you. By using the Services, you agree that notice to you through an email to the email address you provided in your profile constitutes reasonable efforts to notify you of any removal or disabling if such notice is required.
Comments, Feedback, Suggestions, Ideas, And Other Submissions
Limits on the Company's Obligations
We are not obligated to introduce you to anyone.
We do not recommend any startups for investment, endorse their fitness for investment or verify or claim the accuracy of information provided by startups on the Site or in our emails. In particular, we do not act as an investment adviser to any Investor(s) and no part of this Site is intended to constitute investment advice.
We are not obligated to maintain the confidentiality of any Content you give us.
Intellectual Property Rights
The Company has no obligation to monitor or enforce any intellectual property rights that may be associated with Content you provide to us, but the Company does have the right to enforce such rights through any means it sees fit, including bringing and controlling actions on your behalf.
No Endorsement of Content
The Company does not control or endorse the Content, messages or information found in the Services or external websites that may be linked to or from Union and, therefore, the Company specifically disclaims any responsibility with regard thereto.
No Obligation to Display Content
The Company has no obligation to accept, display, review, verify, monitor or maintain any Content submitted by users, user forum posts, commentary, ratings or compliments (“Comments”). We have the right to delete Content or Comments from the Services without notice for any reason at any time. The Company may move, re-format, edit, alter, distort, remove or refuse to exploit Content or Comments without notice to you and without liability. Notwithstanding the forgoing rights, the Company reserves the right to treat Content provided by users and Comments as content stored at the direction of users for which the Company will not exercise editorial control except as required to enforce the rights of third parties and applicable Content restrictions when violations are brought to the Company’s attention.
Verifying Advertisement Accuracy
The Services may contain or deliver advertising and sponsorships. Advertisers and sponsors are responsible for ensuring that material submitted for inclusion is accurate and complies with applicable laws. We are not responsible for the illegality or any error, inaccuracy or problem in an advertiser’s or sponsor’s Content.
Union respects the intellectual property of others and asks that users of our Site do the same. In connection with our Site, we have adopted and implemented a policy respecting copyright law that provides for the removal of any infringing materials and for the termination, in appropriate circumstances, of users of our online Site who are repeat infringers of intellectual property rights, including copyrights. If you believe that one of our users is, through the use of our Site, unlawfully infringing the copyright(s) in a work, and wish to have the allegedly infringing material removed, the following information in the form of a written notification (pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 512(c)) must be provided to our designated Copyright Agent:
- your physical or electronic signature;
- identification of the copyrighted work(s) that you claim to have been infringed;
- identification of the material on our services that you claim is infringing and that you request us to remove;
- sufficient information to permit us to locate such material;
- your address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the objectionable material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or under the law; and
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are either the owner of the copyright that has allegedly been infringed or that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Please note that, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 512(f), any misrepresentation of material fact (falsities) in a written notification automatically subjects the complaining party to liability for any damages, costs and attorney’s fees incurred by us in connection with the written notification and allegation of copyright infringement.
Our Union Copyright Agent for notice of alleged copyright infringement or other legal notices regarding Content appearing on the Services is:
Attn: General Counsel
1440 G St NW
Washington, DC 20005
Term and Termination
Unless terminated by the Company, this Agreement will remain in full force and effect while you use any of the Services. The Company may terminate this Agreement at any time, particularly if you are suspected of violating any provision of this Agreement. Upon termination of this Agreement for any reason, you shall destroy and remove from all computers, and other storage media all copies of any intellectual property owned by the Company or any other user of the Services that you acquired via use of the Services. Your representations in this Agreement and the provisions of the “User Obligations” section and any other provision of this Agreement which by their nature are designed to survive termination shall survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement.
Disclaimers; Limitations; Waivers of Liability
YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE (EXCEPT ONLY TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED UNDER THE LAWS APPLICABLE TO TERMS OF SERVICE WITH ANY LEGALLY REQUIRED WARRANTY PERIOD TO THE SHORTER OF THIRTY DAYS FROM FIRST USE OR THE MINIMUM PERIOD REQUIRED). WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR ITS AFFILIATES OR SUBSIDIARIES, OR ANY OF THEIR DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, ATTORNEYS, THIRD-PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSEES OR LICENSORS (COLLECTIVELY, “COMPANY PARTIES”) WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DISCLAIMERS OF LIABILITY CONTAINED HEREIN APPLY TO ANY AND ALL DAMAGES OR INJURY WHATSOEVER CAUSED BY OR RELATED TO USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICES UNDER ANY CAUSE OR ACTION WHATSOEVER OF ANY JURISDICTION, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ACTIONS FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY, BREACH OF CONTRACT OR TORT AND THAT THE COMPANY PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICES. YOU FURTHER SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE COMPANY PARTIES ARE NOT LIABLE, AND YOU AGREE NOT TO SEEK TO HOLD THE COMPANY PARTIES LIABLE, FOR THE CONDUCT OF THIRD PARTIES, INCLUDING OTHER USERS OF THE SERVICES AND OPERATORS OF EXTERNAL WEBSITES, AND THAT THE RISK OF THE SERVICES AND EXTERNAL WEBSITES AND OF INJURY FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
We make no warranty and disclaim all responsibility and liability for the completeness, accuracy, availability, timeliness, security or reliability of the Services or any Content thereon or any content you receive as a result of your relationship with Union. Union will not be responsible or liable for any harm to your computer system, loss of data or other harm that results from your access to or use of the Services or any Content. You also agree that Union has no responsibility or liability for the deletion of, or the failure to store or to transmit, any Content and other communications maintained by the Services. We make no warranty that the Services will meet your requirements or be available on an uninterrupted, secure or error-free basis. No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained from Union or through the Services, will create any warranty not expressly made herein.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY COMPANY PERSON BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR MORE THAN THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID THE COMPANY IN THE NINETY (90) DAYS IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING THE DATE ON WHICH YOU FIRST ASSERT ANY SUCH CLAIM.
To the extent any provision(s) relating to arbitration, disclaimer, waiver of liability or any other rights and obligations set forth herein is not permissible or enforceable under foreign laws as applied to users from such foreign jurisdictions, each such provision shall be deemed removed and invalid, but all remaining provisions shall be in full force and effect.
Disputes with Others
We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor and/or manage disputes between you and other users of the Services. If you have a dispute with other users, you release the Company and hereby agree to indemnify the Company from claims, demands, and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of, or in any way connected with, such a dispute.
Please read this Arbitration Agreement carefully. It is part of your contract with Company and affects your rights. It contains procedures for MANDATORY BINDING ARBITRATION AND A CLASS ACTION WAIVER.
(a) Applicability of Arbitration Agreement. All claims and disputes (excluding claims for injunctive or other equitable relief as set forth below) in connection with the Terms or the use of any product or service provided by the Company that cannot be resolved informally or in small claims court shall be resolved by binding arbitration on an individual basis under the terms of this Arbitration Agreement. Unless otherwise agreed to, all arbitration proceedings shall be held in English. This Arbitration Agreement applies to you and the Company, and to any subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, employees, predecessors in interest, successors, and assigns, as well as all authorized or unauthorized users or beneficiaries of services or goods provided under the Terms.
(b) Notice Requirement and Informal Dispute Resolution. Before either party may seek arbitration, the party must first send to the other party a written Notice of Dispute (“Notice”) describing the nature and basis of the claim or dispute, and the requested relief. A Notice to the Company should be sent to: 1440 G St NW, Washington, District Of Columbia 20005. After the Notice is received, you and the Company may attempt to resolve the claim or dispute informally. If you and the Company do not resolve the claim or dispute within thirty (30) days after the Notice is received, either party may begin an arbitration proceeding. The amount of any settlement offer made by any party may not be disclosed to the arbitrator until after the arbitrator has determined the amount of the award, if any, to which either party is entitled.
(c) Arbitration Rules. Arbitration shall be initiated through the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), an established alternative dispute resolution provider (“ADR Provider”) that offers arbitration as set forth in this section. If AAA is not available to arbitrate, the parties shall agree to select an alternative ADR Provider. The rules of the ADR Provider shall govern all aspects of the arbitration, including but not limited to the method of initiating and/or demanding arbitration, except to the extent such rules are in conflict with the Terms. The AAA Consumer Arbitration Rules (“Arbitration Rules”) governing the arbitration are available online at www.adr.org or by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879. The arbitration shall be conducted by a single, neutral arbitrator. Any claims or disputes where the total amount of the award sought is less than Ten Thousand U.S. Dollars (US $10,000.00) may be resolved through binding non-appearance-based arbitration, at the option of the party seeking relief. For claims or disputes where the total amount of the award sought is Ten Thousand U.S. Dollars (US $10,000.00) or more, the right to a hearing will be determined by the Arbitration Rules. Any hearing will be held in a location within 100 miles of your residence, unless you reside outside of the United States, and unless the parties agree otherwise. If you reside outside of the U.S., the arbitrator shall give the parties reasonable notice of the date, time and place of any oral hearings. Any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction. If the arbitrator grants you an award that is greater than the last settlement offer that the Company made to you prior to the initiation of arbitration, the Company will pay you the greater of the award or $2,500.00. Each party shall bear its own costs (including attorney’s fees) and disbursements arising out of the arbitration and shall pay an equal share of the fees and costs of the ADR Provider.
(d) Additional Rules for Non-Appearance Based Arbitration. If non-appearance based arbitration is elected, the arbitration shall be conducted by telephone, online and/or based solely on written submissions; the specific manner shall be chosen by the party initiating the arbitration. The arbitration shall not involve any personal appearance by the parties or witnesses unless otherwise agreed by the parties.
(e) Time Limits. If you or the Company pursue arbitration, the arbitration action must be initiated and/or demanded within the statute of limitations (i.e., the legal deadline for filing a claim) and within any deadline imposed under the AAA Rules for the pertinent claim.
(f) Authority of Arbitrator. If arbitration is initiated, the arbitrator will decide the rights and liabilities, if any, of you and the Company, and the dispute will not be consolidated with any other matters or joined with any other cases or parties. The arbitrator shall have the authority to grant motions dispositive of all or part of any claim. The arbitrator shall have the authority to award monetary damages, and to grant any non-monetary remedy or relief available to an individual under applicable law, the AAA Rules, and the Terms. The arbitrator shall issue a written award and statement of decision describing the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based, including the calculation of any damages awarded. The arbitrator has the same authority to award relief on an individual basis that a judge in a court of law would have. The award of the arbitrator is final and binding upon you and the Company.
(g) Waiver of Jury Trial. THE PARTIES HEREBY WAIVE THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL AND STATUTORY RIGHTS TO GO TO COURT AND HAVE A TRIAL IN FRONT OF A JUDGE OR A JURY, instead electing that all claims and disputes shall be resolved by arbitration under this Arbitration Agreement. Arbitration procedures are typically more limited, more efficient and less costly than rules applicable in a court and are subject to very limited review by a court. In the event any litigation should arise between you and the Company in any state or federal court in a suit to vacate or enforce an arbitration award or otherwise, YOU AND THE COMPANY WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO A JURY TRIAL, instead electing that the dispute be resolved by a judge.
(h) Waiver of Class or Consolidated Actions. ALL CLAIMS AND DISPUTES WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT MUST BE ARBITRATED OR LITIGATED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT ON A CLASS BASIS, AND CLAIMS OF MORE THAN ONE CUSTOMER OR USER CANNOT BE ARBITRATED OR LITIGATED JOINTLY OR CONSOLIDATED WITH THOSE OF ANY OTHER CUSTOMER OR USER.
(i) Confidentiality. All aspects of the arbitration proceeding, including but not limited to the award of the arbitrator and compliance therewith, shall be strictly confidential. The parties agree to maintain confidentiality unless otherwise required by law. This paragraph shall not prevent a party from submitting to a court of law any information necessary to enforce this Agreement, to enforce an arbitration award, or to seek injunctive or equitable relief.
(j) Severability. If any part or parts of this Arbitration Agreement are found under the law to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, then such specific part or parts shall be of no force and effect and shall be severed and the remainder of the Agreement shall continue in full force and effect.
(k) Right to Waive. Any or all of the rights and limitations set forth in this Arbitration Agreement may be waived by the party against whom the claim is asserted. Such waiver shall not waive or affect any other portion of this Arbitration Agreement.
(l) Survival of Agreement. This Arbitration Agreement will survive the termination of your relationship with Company.
(m) Small Claims Court. Notwithstanding the foregoing, either you or the Company may bring an individual action in small claims court.
(n) Emergency Equitable Relief. Notwithstanding the foregoing, either party may seek emergency equitable relief before a state or federal court in order to maintain the status quo pending arbitration. A request for interim measures shall not be deemed a waiver of any other rights or obligations under this Arbitration Agreement.
(o) Claims Not Subject to Arbitration. Notwithstanding the foregoing, claims of defamation, violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and infringement or misappropriation of the other party’s patent, copyright, trademark or trade secrets shall not be subject to this Arbitration Agreement.
(p) Courts. In any circumstances where the foregoing Arbitration Agreement permits the parties to litigate in court, the parties hereby agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located within the District of Columbia for such purpose.
Availability of Services
The Company operates and controls the Services from its offices in the United States. The Company makes no representation that the Services are appropriate or available in other locations. The information provided on or through the Services is not intended for distribution to or use by any person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation or which would subject the Company to any registration requirement within such jurisdiction or country. Accordingly, those persons who choose to access the Services from other locations do so on their own initiative and are solely responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable.
The Site may be subject to U.S. export control laws and may be subject to export or import regulations in other countries. You agree not to export, reexport, or transfer, directly or indirectly, any U.S. technical data acquired from Company, or any products utilizing such data, in violation of the United States export laws or regulations.
You acknowledge that the rights granted and obligations made hereunder to the Company are of a unique and irreplaceable nature, the loss of which shall irreparably harm the Company and which cannot be replaced by monetary damages alone, so that the Company shall be entitled to injunctive or other equitable relief (without the obligations of posting any bond or surety) in the event of any breach or anticipatory breach by you. You irrevocably waive all rights to seek injunctive or other equitable relief and agree to limit your claims to claims for monetary damages (if any).
Amendments to this Agreement
We may amend this Agreement at any time in our sole discretion, effective upon posting the amended Terms of Service at the domain of union.vc where the prior version of this Agreement was posted or by communicating these changes through any written or other contact method we have established with you. Your use of the Services following the date on which such amended Terms are published will constitute consent to such amendments. Neither the course of conduct between the parties nor trade practice will act to modify this Agreement.
Venue and Governing Law
This Agreement and all aspects of the Services shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the United States and the State of Delaware governing contracts entered into and to be fully performed in Delaware (i.e., without regard to conflict of law’s provisions) regardless of your location except that Section 10 (Arbitration) of this Agreement shall be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act. For the purpose of any judicial proceeding to enforce an arbitration award or incidental to such arbitration or to compel arbitration, or if for any reason a claim proceeds in court rather than in arbitration, you hereby submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the state and Federal courts sitting in the District of Columbia and agree that service of process in such arbitration or court proceedings shall be satisfactorily made upon a party if sent by certified, express or registered mail addressed to it at the address set forth in the books and records of the Company, or if no such address has been provided, by email to the email address provided by the relevant party to the Company in connection with its use of the Services. With respect to any Disputes not subject to informal dispute resolution or arbitration (as set forth above), you agree not to commence or prosecute any action in connection therewith other than in the state and federal courts located in District of Columbia, and you hereby consent to, and waive all defenses of lack of personal jurisdiction and forum non conveniens with respect to, venue and jurisdiction in the state and federal courts located in District of Columbia. To the extent non-U.S. laws mandate a different approach with respect to governing law, venue, statute of limitation, and dispute resolution method with respect to certain non-U.S. persons, each such required standard shall be applied, but all other provisions under this section shall remain in full force.
Waiver and Severability
The failure of the Company to require or enforce strict performance by you of any provision of this Agreement or to exercise any right under this Agreement shall not be construed as a waiver or relinquishment of the Company’s right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance. In fact, the Company may choose to enforce certain portions of this Agreement more strictly or to interpret certain provisions more strictly against certain users than it does against users in general, and such disparate treatment shall not be grounds for failing to comply with all this Agreement as so interpreted.
You and the Company agree that if any portion of this Agreement is found illegal or unenforceable, in whole or in part by any court of competent jurisdiction, such provision shall, as to such jurisdiction, be ineffective to the extent of such determination of invalidity or unenforceability without affecting the validity or enforceability thereof in any other manner or jurisdiction and without affecting the remaining provisions of this Agreement, which shall continue to be in full force and effect. If Section 10 is found to be illegal or unenforceable, then neither you nor the Company will elect to arbitrate any Dispute falling within that portion of Section 10 found to be illegal or unenforceable and such Dispute shall be decided by a court of competent jurisdiction within the District of Columbia and you and the Company agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of that court.
Section Headings; Verification Documentation; Waiver of Execution Defenses
The section headings used herein are for convenience only and shall not be given any legal import. Upon the Company’s request, you will furnish the Company any documentation, substantiation or releases necessary to verify your compliance with this Agreement. You agree that this Agreement will not be construed against the Company by virtue of having drafted them. You hereby waive any and all defenses you may have based on the electronic form of this Agreement and the lack of signing by the parties hereto to execute this Agreement.
Prohibition of Assignment
You may not assign this Agreement without the Company’s prior written consent.
This Agreement contains the entire understanding of you and the Company, and supersedes all prior understandings of the parties hereto relating to the subject matter hereof, and cannot be changed or modified by you except as posted on the Services by the Company. No waiver by either party of any breach or default hereunder shall be deemed to be a waiver of any preceding or subsequent breach or default.
“Community Rules”: Participants in the Union community will not, in connection with the Services:
- defame, libel, disparage, threaten, harass or intimidate anyone, including by the use of offensive comments related to race, national origin, gender, sexual preference or physical handicap;
- use any profane, obscene, pornographic or otherwise objectionable content or language;
- promote or describe how to perform violence, illegal drug or substance abuse, or any other illegal activity;
- violate the personal, privacy, contractual, intellectual property or other rights of any person;
- reveal, with respect to personal or privacy rights, any personal information about another individual, including an address, phone number, email address, credit card number or other information that could be used to track, contact or impersonate that individual;
- violate this Agreement or any local, state, federal or non-U.S. law, rule or regulation;
- trick, defraud, deceive or mislead the Company or other users, such as by submitting false reports of abuse or misconduct to the Company’s support services, disguising the source of materials or other information you submit to the Services or using tools which anonymize your Internet protocol address to access the Services;
- interfere with or disrupt (or attempt to interfere with or disrupt) access and enjoyment of the Services of other users or any host or network, including, without limitation, creating or transmitting unwanted electronic communications such as “spam” to other users, overloading, flooding or mail-bombing the Services, or scripting the creation of Content in such a manner as to interfere with or create an undue burden on the Services;
- disparage, tarnish or otherwise harm, in the Company’s opinion, the Company and/or the Services;
- upload or transmit (or attempt to upload or transmit) any material that acts as a passive or active information collection or transmission mechanism, such as viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware, adware or any other malicious or invasive code or program;
- reverse engineer, decompile, reverse assemble, modify or attempt to discover or copy any software, source code or structure that the Services utilize to generate web pages or any software or other products or processes accessible through the Services;
- access or search (or attempt to access or search) the Services by any means, such as any automated system or unauthorized script or software, other than currently available, published interfaces provided by Union, unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate Agreement with Union (note crawling the Services is permissible in accordance with this Agreement, but scraping the Services is expressly prohibited without the prior consent of Union);
- remove, obscure or change any copyright, trademark, hyperlink or other proprietary rights notices contained in or on the Services or any website on which the Services are offered or on a third party website and/or Company software on which Company code is embeddable or embedded on;
- remove, obscure or change any notice, banner, advertisement or other branding on the Services;
- submit any Content or material that falsely expresses or implies that such Content or material is sponsored or endorsed by the Company;
- interfere with or circumvent any security feature of the Services or any feature that restricts or enforces limitations on use of or access to the Services, such as probing or scanning the vulnerability of any system, network or breach; or
- sell access to the Services or any part thereof other than through a mechanism approved by the Company.
- “Content” means any information, text, graphics or other materials uploaded, downloaded or otherwise appearing on the Services. You retain ownership of all Content you submit, post, display or otherwise make available on the Services.
- “Locked Information” means, all information acquired by, through or in connection with your use of the Services or the Site that was provided by another person and which is identified as “Locked” in any manner reasonably designed to identify the character of such information.
- The Company is an entity offering the transmission, routing or providing of connections for digital online communications, between or among points specified by a user of material of the user’s choosing, without modification of the content of the material sent or received, providing educational content provided by the Company or User submitted, as well as system caching, storage of material residing on a system or network at the direction of a user, and referral or linkage of users to an online location using information location tools, each through the Site located at http://union.vc and any linked pages or applications owned and operated by the Company.
The Services are operated and provided by Union Global, Inc. PBC, 1440 G St NW Washington, DC 20005. If you have questions about this Agreement, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Revised: June 24, 2021
Table of Contents
- Information We Collect and Receive
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
- How We Use Your Information
- How We Share Your Information
- Your Choices
- Other Sites and Services
- User Generated Content
- Children’s Privacy
- Contact Us
- For Users Outside of the United States: International Data Transfers
Information we collect and receive
We collect personal information about you in the following ways:
Information you give us
Information that you may provide through the Services or otherwise communicate with us includes:
- Personal and Business Contact information, such as your first name, last name, gender, postal address, email address, telephone number, job title, employer name and biography.
- Profile information, such as your username and password, picture, industry, interests, expertise, settings and preferences.
- Content you post on our Platforms (text, images,video, photographs, messages, comments or any other kind of content that is not your email address).
- Search inquiries.
- Feedback and correspondence, such as information you provide in your responses to surveys, when you participate in market research activities, report a problem with our Platforms, receive customer support or otherwise correspond with us.
- Transaction information, such details about purchases you make through our Platforms, registrations you make through our Platforms, and billing details.
- Usage information, such as information about how you use our Platforms and interact with us
- Marketing information, such as your preferences for receiving marketing communications and details about how you engage with them.
Information from Social Networking sites
Our Site includes interfaces that allow you to connect with social networking sites (each a “SNS”). If you connect to a SNS through our Site you authorize us to access, use and store the information that you agreed the SNS could provide to us based on your settings on that SNS. We will access, use and store that information in accordance with this Notice. You can revoke our access to the information you provide in this way at any time by amending the appropriate settings from within your account settings on the applicable SNS.
Information we get from others
We may combine other publicly available information, such as that provided by business networking sites and databases, information related to the organization for which you work and personal interests and skill sets, with the personal information that you provide to us through our Services.
We also may obtain information from those in the network, as well as your community networks that use our Platforms, such as mentors, investors, partners, community managers and other local representatives, in order to deliver Services. This may include information about potential interest in our programs, company and individual progress, interest in local events, and attendance at other similar events.
Information automatically collected
We may automatically log information about you and your computer or mobile device when you access our Platforms. For example, we may log your computer or mobile device operating system name and version, manufacturer and model, browser type, browser language, screen resolution, the website you visited before browsing to our Platforms, the pages you viewed, how long you spent on a page, access times and information about your use of and actions on our Platforms. We collect much of this information about you using cookies. Please refer to the Cookies and Similar Technologies section below for more details.
Changes to your personal information
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please let us know if your personal information changes during your relationship with us by updating your registration profile or emailing us at email@example.com.
Cookies and similar technologies
What are cookies?
We may collect information using “cookies.” Cookies are small data files stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website. We may use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your computer or mobile device until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Platforms.
We use two broad categories of cookies: (1) first party cookies, served directly by us to your computer or mobile device, which we use to recognize your computer or mobile device when it revisits our Platforms; and (2) third party cookies, which are served by service providers on our Platforms, and can be used by such service providers to recognise your computer or mobile device when it visits other websites.
Cookies we use
Our Platforms use the following types of cookies for the purposes set out below:
|Type of cookie
|These cookies are essential to provide you with services available through our Platforms, to enable you to use some of its features and to keep you logged in. Without these cookies, the services that you have asked for cannot be provided, and we only use these cookies to provide you with those services.
|Analytics and performance cookies
These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our Platforms and how users use our Platforms. The information gathered may include the number of visitors to our Platforms, the websites that referred them to our Platforms, the pages they visited on our Platforms, what time of day they visited our Platforms, whether they have visited our Platforms before, and other similar information. We use this information to help operate our Platforms more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information and to monitor the level of activity on our Platforms.
We use Google Analytics for this purpose. Google Analytics uses its own cookies. It is only used to improve how our Platforms works. You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here and about how Google protects your data here. You can prevent the use of Google Analytics relating to your use of our Platforms by downloading and installing the browser plugin available here.
|Social media cookies
|These cookies are used when you share information using a social media sharing button or “like” button on our Platforms or you link your account or engage with our content on or through a social networking website such as Facebook or Twitter. The social network will record that you have done this.
You can typically remove or reject cookies via your browser settings. In order to do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “settings,” “help” “tools” or “edit” facility). Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings. Further information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit allaboutcookies.org. If you do not accept our cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our Platforms. For example, we may not be able to recognize your computer or mobile device and you may need to log in every time you visit our Platforms.
We may also use pixel tags (which are also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) on our Platforms to track the actions of users on our Platforms. Unlike cookies, which are stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website, pixel tags are embedded invisibly on webpages. Pixel tags measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Platforms, so that we can manage our content more effectively. The information we collect using pixel tags is not linked to our users’ personal information.
Do Not Track signals
Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to these do not track signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit allaboutdnt.com.
How we use your information
To provice our Services
If you have an account with us or use our Platforms, we use your personal information to:
- Operate, maintain, administer and improve our Platforms.
- Manage and communicate with you regarding your account, if you have one, including by sending you service announcements, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages.
- Process and manage requests you make through our Platforms, including to track and administer Services you have requested.
- Better understand your needs and interests, provide aggregated feedback from mentors, investors, partners,and others to you for benchmarking and analytics, and personalize your experience with our Platforms.
- Equip community managers and administrators with tiered access to data in order to optimize their offerings and deliver continual value to you and your peers.
- Provide company profile engagement analytics to better equip you with insights as you build and grow your business.
- Provide recommendations to you within your communities and across our Platforms, which may include opportunities from partner organizations, connections to mentors, early adopter customers, investors, or potential talent.
- Create aggregate scores to inform recommended opportunities and reports on startup progress and community health.
- Provide support and maintenance for our Platforms and our Services.
To facilitate your relationship with your community
If you have an account our Platforms, it is because you signed up directly or through an accelerator, incubator, corporate, university innovation program, or other similar community. Your data is shared with the community administrators in the following ways:
- Profile information
- Company Profile engagement analytics
- Mentor meetings and event RSVPs
- Creation of and engagement with content, such as discussions, learning resources and perks
- Feedback submissions from both scheduled meetings and ad hoc connections
- Applications to new communities
- Survey responses
- Other activity on the platform such as room booking
To communicate with you
If you request information from us, register on our Platforms, or participate in our surveys, promotions or events, we may send you updates, newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials that may be targeted based on your personal information as permitted by law. We also may, from time to time, contact you about a particular offering that may be of interest to you based on publicly available information or information obtained through our Platforms. You will have the ability to opt out of such communications. If you cannot find the opt out options, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To comply with law
We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
With your consent
We may use or share your personal information with your consent, such as when you: consent to participate in additional surveys on gender and race/ethnicity (where legally permissible), let us post your testimonials or endorsements on our Platforms, instruct us to take a specific action with respect to your personal information, or opt into third party marketing communications.
To create aggregated or de-identified information
We may disclose or use aggregated or de-identified information for any purpose. For example, we may share aggregated or de-identified information with prospects, partners, or sponsors for business or research purposes, such as when we analyze and report on industry or demographic trends to measure our objective of having healthy diversity ratios across our Platforms.
For compliance, fraud prevention and safety
We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to (a) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Services; (b) protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (c) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
How we share your information
- Partners and User Groups.We may disclose your business information to our partners with whom we have contracted to sponsor and deliver programs, and to other users of our Services, solely for the purpose of providing our products and services, including sharing with other members of the groups for which you are registered (e.g. founders, mentors). For example, when you participate in a program facilitated through our Platforms, your personal information may be shared with the identified partners to organize and deliver the accelerator. Also, when you register for an event through our Services, your personal information may be shared with the event organizers and sponsors in order to communicate with you about the event.
- Professional advisors.We may disclose your personal information to professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
- Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement; Protection and Safety.Union may disclose information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as required by law, and disclose and use such information as we believe necessary or appropriate to (a) comply with applicable laws and lawful requests and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities; (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Services; (d) protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (e) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
- Access, Update, Correct or Delete Your Information.All account holders may review, update, correct or delete the personal information in their registration profile by logging into their account. You may also contact us at email@example.com to accomplish the foregoing or if you have additional requests or questions.
- Withdrawing consent.If you previously gave us consent to use your personal information, but wish to update or delete it, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Choosing not to share your personal information.Where we are required by law to collect your personal information, or where we need your personal information in order to provide the Services to you, if you do not provide this information when requested (or you later ask to delete it), we may not be able to provide you with the Services and may need to close your account. We will tell you what information you must provide to receive the Services by designating it as required in the Services or through other appropriate means.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We take a number of organizational, technical and physical measures designed to protect the personal information we collect, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no security safeguards are 100% secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your information.
Other Sites and Services
Our Platforms may contain links to other websites and services. These links are not an endorsement, authorization or representation that we are affiliated with that third party. We do not exercise control over third party websites or services, and are not responsible for their actions. Other websites and services follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the other websites you visit and services you use.
User generated content
We may make available on our Platforms, or link to, features that allow you to share information online (e.g., on message boards, in chat areas, in file uploads, through events, etc.). Please be aware that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online, that information becomes public and can be collected and used by others. We have no control over, and take no responsibility for, the use, storage or dissemination of such publicly-disclosed personal information. By posting personal information online in private or public forums, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances, we may anonymize your personal information (so that it can no longer be associated with you) in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Our Products and Services are not directed to children under the age of 13, and we do not intentionally gather personal information from visitors who are under the age of 13, without their parental or guardian’s consent. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us at the contact information provided above. We will delete such information from our files as soon as reasonably practicable.
700 12th St N.W Suite 700 PMB 95017
Washington, DC 20005
For Users Outside of the United States: International Data Transfers
Union is headquartered in the United States and has affiliates and service providers in other countries. Your information, including personal information that we collect from you, may be transferred to, stored at and processed by us and our affiliates and other third parties outside the country in which you reside, including, but not limited to the United States, where data protection and privacy regulations may not offer the same level of protection as in your jurisdiction. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy.
Union is the controller of your personal information for purposes of European data protection legislation. See the “Contact Us” section above for contact details.
Legal bases for processing
We only use your personal information as permitted by law. We are required to inform you of the legal bases of our processing of your personal information, which are described in the table below.
|To provide our Services
|Processing is necessary to perform the contract governing our provision of the Services or to take steps that you request prior to signing up for the Services.
|To communicate with you; To create aggregated or de-identified information; For compliance, fraud prevention and safety
|These processing activities constitute our legitimate interests. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your personal information for our legitimate interests. We do not use your personal information for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law).
|To comply with law
|Processing is necessary to comply with our legal obligations
|With your consent
|Processing is based on your consent. Where we rely on your consent you have the right to withdraw it anytime in the manner indicated in the Service or by contacting us at email@example.com.
Use for new purposes
European data protection laws give you certain rights regarding your personal information. You may ask us to take the following actions in relation to your personal information that we hold:
- Opt-out. Stop sending you direct marketing communications. You may continue to receive service-related and other non-marketing emails.
- Access. Provide you with information about our processing of your personal information and give you access to your personal information.
- Correct. Update or correct inaccuracies in your personal information.
- Delete. Delete your personal information.
- Transfer. Transfer a machine-readable copy of your personal information to you or a third party of your choice.
- Restrict. Restrict the processing of your personal information.
- Object. Object to our reliance on our legitimate interests as the basis of our processing of your personal information that impacts your rights.
You can submit these requests by email to at firstname.lastname@example.org or our postal address provided above. We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and process your request. Applicable law may require or permit us to decline your request. If we decline your request, we will tell you why, subject to legal restrictions. If you would like to submit a complaint about our use of your personal information or response to your requests regarding your personal information, you may contact us at email@example.com or submit a complaint to the data protection regulator in your jurisdiction. You can find your data protection regulator here.
Cross-border data transfer
Whenever we transfer your personal information out of the EEA to countries not deemed by the European Commission to provide an adequate level of personal information protection, the transfer will be based on one of the following safeguards recognized by the European Commission as providing adequate protection for personal information, where required by EU data protection legislation:
- Contracts approved by the European Commission which impose data protection obligations on the parties to the transfer. For further details, see European Commission Model contracts for the transfer of personal information to third countries.
Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal information out of the EEA.