Welcome to Union. We provide an innovation platform designed to grow startups and accelerate innovation globally. Some of our users joining as startup members to gain access to educational content, participate in incubator or accelerator communities, participate in challenges, or connect with mentors, customers and investors who may be able to help them grow.
Users of this website may open an account as a “Startup” (who are looking for education, advice and connections signing up either directly to Union or through a Community Administrator), as an “Investor” (who are looking to invest in Startups), as an “Innovator” (a corporate or government employee who is interested in connecting with startups or learning about innovation), a “Mentor” (an individual with relevant expertise who offers advice to Startups), “Judges” (an individual who judges a challenge or competition) or as a Community Administrator (staff of a program that uses Union to manage its members or applicants).
If you are a Startup, you are welcome to upload information about your business, including information you consider confidential (see Locked Information, as defined in Section 12 (Definitions)) to union.vc (the “Site”), and to designate which other Users may see that information. We will do our best to display information you have designated as “Locked” only to its intended audience who have told us that they fit within the categories you have identified. We cannot, however, guarantee that Users who see your Locked Information do not distribute that information. We also cannot guarantee that there will never be a software bug or a hacker attack that allows unauthorized viewing of material or Users actually fit within the categories they have identified themselves under. For Startups who join through a Community Administrator, there may be additional terms between you and the Community Administrator that may be communicated through Union (i.e. coworking space membership terms if applicable).
Investor accounts on the Site are sophisticated investors with personal or professional experience assessing the long term business prospects of early stage companies. Investors must understand the risk of investing in early stage companies, including the high likelihood of loss and long period of illiquidity. In addition, if you are using the site as an Investor, you must qualify as an Accredited Investor and be sophisticated enough to protect your own interests. As an Investor, you may come across Startups that you may be interested in investing in. You may receive Locked Information either through the Site or through meetings coordinated through the Site. You will also want to select what kinds of Startups you would like to be connected to and what kinds of businesses you would like to see. We do not promise to make connections to all Startups or show you all businesses that meet your criteria, nor can we promise that all Startups we connect you to will actually satisfy your criteria.
If you are an Innovator, you will be meeting or learning about Startups through Union. You may receive Locked Information either through the Site or through meetings coordinated through the Site, and it is expected that you will not share this information unless given permission. You are also welcome to upload information about yourself or your current business so that Union can better match you with Startups most interesting to you.
If you are a Mentor, you will be providing advice to Startups through office hours or discussions. You may receive Locked Information either through the Site or through meetings coordinated through the Site, and it is expected that you will not share this information unless given permission. You are also welcome to upload information about yourself or your current business so that Union can better match you with Startups for office hours.
If you are a Judge, you will be providing advice to Startups through meetings or judging Startups through a competition or challenge. You may receive Locked Information either through the Site or through meetings coordinated through the Site, and it is expected that you will not share this information unless given permission.
If you are a Community Administrator, you are staff of a program using Union and will be managing your community through Union. You may receive confidential or Locked Information either through the Site or through meetings coordinated through the Site, and it is expected that you will not share this information unless given permission. Further terms are outlined in a separate agreement between 1776 and your company.
By using Union, including by simply viewing content on the Site, you are agreeing that you, and each person you allow to access Union through your account, will abide by the terms of this Terms of Service (“Agreement”), which is set forth in its entirety below. This Agreement is between you and 1776 Global, Inc. PBC d/b/a Union (“we,” “Union” or the “Company”), and it governs your access to and use of the services, websites, and applications offered by Union (the “Services”). Your access to and use of the Services are conditioned on your acceptance of and compliance with this Agreement.
The Site is not directed to any person in any jurisdiction where (by reason of that person’s nationality, residence or otherwise) the publication or availability of the Site is prohibited. Persons in respect of whom such prohibitions apply must not access the Site.
Capitalized terms used herein are defined in this Introduction or in Section 12 (Definitions) of this Agreement.
Table of Contents
Privacy And Protection Of Personal Information
Company Services And License
Reservation Of The Company’s Rights
Limits On The Company’s Obligations
Term And Termination
Disclaimers; Limitations; Waivers Of Liability
Disputes With Others
By using Services, you promise to:
- That you have the right, authority, and capacity to enter into this Agreement on your own behalf and on behalf on any entity for whom you are acting and to abide by all of the terms and conditions contained herein, and that if any aspect of your participation in Union violates provisions of the law to which you are subject, you will cease using the Services and close your account;
- That you are at least 13 years old, and that if you are less than 18 years old, your parent or legal guardian has agreed to stand behind any agreement you enter into as a participant on Union;
- That you shall not use a false name or email address owned or controlled by another person with the intent to impersonate that person or for any other reason;
- That you shall be solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password;
- That you will conduct yourself in a professional manner in all your interactions with Union and with any other Union user.
- That you will only provide Union with Content that you have a right to provide to Union and to allow Union to display through the Services.
- That you have adequate rights to all copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, intellectual property or other material provided by you for display by Union.
- That you understand that any other Content you find on or through Union is the sole responsibility of the person who originated such Content;
- That you understand that your Content may be republished and if you do not have the right to submit Content for such use, it may subject you to liability, and that Union will not be responsible or liable for any use of your Content by Union in accordance with this Agreement;
- That you are not relying on Union to, and that you understand that we do not, endorse, support, represent or guarantee the completeness, truthfulness, accuracy or reliability of any Content or communications posted via the Services or endorse any opinions expressed via the Services;
- That you understand that by using the Services, you may be exposed to Content that might be offensive, harmful, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate, and that you have no claim against Union for any such material; and
- That you understand that the Service may include advertisements or other similar items, which may be related to Content, queries made through the Services, or other information, and you have no claim against Union for the placement of advertising or similar content on the Services or in connection with the display of any Content or other information from the Services.
By using Services, you promise not to:
- Violate the Community Rules of Union, as defined in Section XIII (Definitions);
- Expect Union to evaluate, confirm or otherwise stand behind any user’s statements;
- Treat any Content, email or other information you receive as a result of your access to the Services as a recommendation or representation of any kind by Union, an affiliate of Union or any employee, officer, director, representative or other agent of the foregoing (each a “Company Person”) on which you should rely unless such information has been expressly identified as created by a Company Person;
- Claim any ownership right in any material, software or other intellectual property displayed on, published by or otherwise available through Union, other than Content, software or intellectual property that you own or otherwise have rights to without regard for its appearance on Union;
- Copy or distribute Content except as specifically allowed in this Agreement;
- Use any Content, or other information acquired from Company Persons, Investors or Startups, or otherwise through your use of the Services, for commercial or investment activity outside of the Services, without prior written approval from the Company;
- Claim any right to access, view or alter any source code or object code of Union;
- Use Union to market services, particularly investment advisory services that might cause Union to have to register as a broker dealer or investment adviser with the SEC, or to be treated as an underwriter; or
- Market competing services to people you’ve identified through Union.
Other User Obligations:
- You are promising to hold the Company harmless against any damage that may happen to us as a result of your use of Union.
- You agree to indemnify and hold the Company and any Company Person harmless (including against costs and attorneys’ fees) from any claim or demand made by any third party due to or arising out of your access to or use of the Services, the violation of this Agreement by you, the infringement by you, or any third party using your account, of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity, or for any Content posted through the Services by you (including claims related to defamation, invasion of privacy or other violation of a person’s rights). Your obligations under the foregoing indemnity may not be offset against any other claim you may have against the Company or any Company Person. You remain solely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise disseminate using, or in connection with, the Services. You agree that the provisions in this paragraph will survive any termination of your account(s) or the Services.
- You hereby release any claims you may have against Union and any Company Person that are in any way related to the Services or your use of Content, including any representations, recommendations or referrals you may receive as a result of your registration with Union. You are solely responsible for your use of the Services, for any Content you provide, and for any consequences thereof, including the use of your Content by other users and third party partners.
- You understand that Company Persons may participate in the Services, and that Union is not responsible for any of their activities, including statements or other information in any emails or other communications such individuals make in that capacity.
- By registering with Union, or otherwise using the Services or viewing content made available through Union in any way, you may have an opportunity to see Locked Information. It is expected that you will use discretion in determining what you do with that information. You agree, however, that you will not republish any information you acquire through the Services via an Internet website, for which one of the principal purposes is to compete with Union.
- You promise to comply with the terms of the license set forth in Section 3 (Company Services and License) of this Agreement.
- You are licensing to us the right to publish all Content you upload to Union, including any comments or other discussion posts you may offer on the Site in order to provide the Services. Your Content will be viewable by other users of the Services and may be available through third party services and websites. You should only provide Content that you are comfortable sharing with others.
- To the extent that Union is determined, for any reason, not to be the licensee of any material you have provided to us, including all rights of paternity, integrity, disclosure and withdrawal and any other rights that may be known as or referred to as “moral rights,” “artist’s rights,” “droit moral,” or the like (collectively “Moral Rights”), you hereby ratify and consent to any action that may be taken with respect to such Moral Rights by or authorized by Union and agree not to assert any Moral Rights with respect thereto. You further agree that you will confirm any such ratifications, consents and agreements from time to time as requested by the Company.
- You acknowledge that Union is not obligated to pay you or to cause any other party to pay you any compensation with respect to your activities on Union, or to feature or otherwise display your Content on any web page.
- You acknowledge that you do not rely on the Company to monitor or edit the Services (including emails initiated by individuals, regardless of whether those individuals are otherwise associated with the Company) and that the Services may contain Content which you find offensive or which is untrue or misleading and you hereby waive any objections you might have with respect to viewing such content.
- You agree that this Agreement does not entitle you to any support, upgrades, updates, add-ons, patches, enhancements, or fixes for the Services (collectively, “Updates”). The Company, however, may occasionally provide automatic Updates to the Services at its sole discretion (and without any advanced notification to you). Any such Updates for the Services shall become part of the Services and subject to this Agreement.
Privacy and Protection of Personal Information
Company Services and License
License to Use the Service
All right, title, and interest in and to the Services (excluding Content provided by users) is and will remain the exclusive property of Union and its licensors. The Services are protected by copyright, trademark, and other laws of both the United States and foreign countries. Except as expressly provided herein, nothing in this Agreement gives you a right to use the Union name or any of the Union trademarks, logos, domain names or other distinctive brand features. Subject to your acceptance of this Agreement, Union grants to you a worldwide, non-assignable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable limited license to use the Services and related software, provided that you:
- Do not use the license to engage in any commercial activity;
- Do not modify the content, except as described below;
- Obtain permission for reposting any Content you discover on Union.
No Claim to Any Rights in Your Information
Company Will Display Content and Allow Communications Based on Filters
When you create an account with Union, and at any time thereafter, you are able to set a variety of filters that are intended to control who can see your information and what information you will be shown. We promise not to intentionally violate those filters, although you must recognize that we cannot guarantee that there will never be a software bug or a hacker attack that will allow unauthorized viewing of material or unsolicited contacts to occur.
Reservation of the Company's Rights
Right to Control Content
Union may, but is not required to, monitor or control the Content posted via the Services. Our failure to exercise this right does not give you any right to make a claim against Union. Any Content that has been uploaded through the Services may be deleted at any time without notice to you.
Right to Discontinue the Services
Union reserves the right to discontinue the Services or to change the Services in any way and at any time, with or without notice to you, without liability.
Right to Terminate User Access
Union reserves the right to terminate your access to the Services without notice and, if you violate this Agreement, to pursue other remedies at law or in equity. We may delete your account for any reason or for no reason at all, and if we delete your account you will lose all access to any information, connections or other features that may have value to you that may have been associated with your account.
Right to Refuse or Cancel Registration
The Company has the right to refuse registration of or cancel your user account in its discretion for any reason or for no reason. In addition, the Company reserves the right at all times (but will not have an obligation) to remove or refuse to distribute any Content on the Services and to terminate users and/or reclaim usernames. We also reserve the right to access, read, preserve, and disclose any information as we reasonably believe is necessary to (i) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, (ii) enforce this Agreement (including investigation of potential violations hereof), (iii) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, (iv) respond to user support requests or (v) protect the rights, property or safety of Union, its users and the public.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you specifically acknowledge that the Company is exempt from liability to any person for any claim based upon its termination of an account or disabling of access to or removal of any Content, including material it believes, in its sole discretion to violate this Agreement, regardless of whether the material ultimately is determined to be infringing or otherwise prohibited, and regardless of whether such termination or disabling has the effect of reducing the value of any Content or opportunities that might otherwise have been available to you. By using the Services, you agree that notice to you through an email to the email address you provided in your profile constitutes reasonable efforts to notify you of any removal or disabling if such notice is required.
Comments, Feedback, Suggestions, Ideas, And Other Submissions
Limits on the Company's Obligations
We are not obligated to introduce you to anyone.
We do not recommend any startups for investment, endorse their fitness for investment or verify or claim the accuracy of information provided by startups on the Site or in our emails. In particular, we do not act as an investment adviser to any Investor(s) and no part of this Site is intended to constitute investment advice.
We are not obligated to maintain the confidentiality of any Content you give us, other than Locked Information, and with respect to Locked Information, we are not obligated to protect it other than by designating it as such.
Intellectual Property Rights
The Company has no obligation to monitor or enforce any intellectual property rights that may be associated with Content you provide to us, but the Company does have the right to enforce such rights through any means it sees fit, including bringing and controlling actions on your behalf.
No Endorsement of Content
The Company does not control or endorse the Content, messages or information found in the Services or external websites that may be linked to or from Union and, therefore, the Company specifically disclaims any responsibility with regard thereto.
No Obligation to Display Content
The Company has no obligation to accept, display, review, verify, monitor or maintain any Content submitted by users, user forum posts, commentary, ratings or compliments (“Comments”). We have the right to delete Content or Comments from the Services without notice for any reason at any time. The Company may move, re-format, edit, alter, distort, remove or refuse to exploit Content or Comments without notice to you and without liability. Notwithstanding the forgoing rights, the Company reserves the right to treat Content provided by users and Comments as content stored at the direction of users for which the Company will not exercise editorial control except as required to enforce the rights of third parties and applicable Content restrictions when violations are brought to the Company’s attention.
Verifying Advertisement Accuracy
The Services may contain or deliver advertising and sponsorships. Advertisers and sponsors are responsible for ensuring that material submitted for inclusion is accurate and complies with applicable laws. We are not responsible for the illegality or any error, inaccuracy or problem in an advertiser’s or sponsor’s Content.
Union respects the intellectual property of others and asks that users of our Site do the same. In connection with our Site, we have adopted and implemented a policy respecting copyright law that provides for the removal of any infringing materials and for the termination, in appropriate circumstances, of users of our online Site who are repeat infringers of intellectual property rights, including copyrights. If you believe that one of our users is, through the use of our Site, unlawfully infringing the copyright(s) in a work, and wish to have the allegedly infringing material removed, the following information in the form of a written notification (pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 512(c)) must be provided to our designated Copyright Agent:
- your physical or electronic signature;
- identification of the copyrighted work(s) that you claim to have been infringed;
- identification of the material on our services that you claim is infringing and that you request us to remove;
- sufficient information to permit us to locate such material;
- your address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the objectionable material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or under the law; and
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are either the owner of the copyright that has allegedly been infringed or that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Please note that, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 512(f), any misrepresentation of material fact (falsities) in a written notification automatically subjects the complaining party to liability for any damages, costs and attorney’s fees incurred by us in connection with the written notification and allegation of copyright infringement.
Our Union Copyright Agent for notice of alleged copyright infringement or other legal notices regarding Content appearing on the Services is:
Attn: General Counsel
1440 G St NW
Washington, DC 20005
Term and Termination
Unless terminated by the Company, this Agreement will remain in full force and effect while you use any of the Services. The Company may terminate this Agreement at any time, particularly if you are suspected of violating any provision of this Agreement. Upon termination of this Agreement for any reason, you shall destroy and remove from all computers, and other storage media all copies of any intellectual property owned by the Company or any other user of the Services that you acquired via use of the Services. Your representations in this Agreement and the provisions of Section I (User Obligations) and any other provision of this Agreement which by their nature are designed to survive termination shall survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement.
Disclaimers; Limitations; Waivers of Liability
YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE (EXCEPT ONLY TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED UNDER THE LAWS APPLICABLE TO TERMS OF SERVICE WITH ANY LEGALLY REQUIRED WARRANTY PERIOD TO THE SHORTER OF THIRTY DAYS FROM FIRST USE OR THE MINIMUM PERIOD REQUIRED). WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR ITS AFFILIATES OR SUBSIDIARIES, OR ANY OF THEIR DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, ATTORNEYS, THIRD-PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSEES OR LICENSORS (COLLECTIVELY, “COMPANY PARTIES”) WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DISCLAIMERS OF LIABILITY CONTAINED HEREIN APPLY TO ANY AND ALL DAMAGES OR INJURY WHATSOEVER CAUSED BY OR RELATED TO USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICES UNDER ANY CAUSE OR ACTION WHATSOEVER OF ANY JURISDICTION, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ACTIONS FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY, BREACH OF CONTRACT OR TORT AND THAT THE COMPANY PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICES. YOU FURTHER SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE COMPANY PARTIES ARE NOT LIABLE, AND YOU AGREE NOT TO SEEK TO HOLD THE COMPANY PARTIES LIABLE, FOR THE CONDUCT OF THIRD PARTIES, INCLUDING OTHER USERS OF THE SERVICES AND OPERATORS OF EXTERNAL WEBSITES, AND THAT THE RISK OF THE SERVICES AND EXTERNAL WEBSITES AND OF INJURY FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
The Company is not responsible for any technical malfunction or other problems of any telephone network or service, computer systems, servers or providers, computer or mobile phone equipment, software, failure of email or media players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or combination thereof, including injury or damage to your or to any other person’s computer, mobile phone or other hardware or software, related to or resulting from using or downloading materials in connection with the web and/or in connection with the Services, including any mobile software. Under no circumstances will the Company be responsible for any loss or damage, including any loss or damage to any content or personal injury or death, resulting from anyone’s use of the Services, any Content or third party applications, software or content posted on or through the Services or transmitted to users or any interactions between users of the Services, whether online or offline.
We make no warranty and disclaim all responsibility and liability for the completeness, accuracy, availability, timeliness, security or reliability of the Services or any Content thereon or any content you receive as a result of your relationship with Union. Union will not be responsible or liable for any harm to your computer system, loss of data or other harm that results from your access to or use of the Services or any Content. You also agree that Union has no responsibility or liability for the deletion of, or the failure to store or to transmit, any Content and other communications maintained by the Services. We make no warranty that the Services will meet your requirements or be available on an uninterrupted, secure or error-free basis. No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained from Union or through the Services, will create any warranty not expressly made herein.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY COMPANY PERSON BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR MORE THAN THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID THE COMPANY IN THE NINETY (90) DAYS IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING THE DATE ON WHICH YOU FIRST ASSERT ANY SUCH CLAIM.
To the extent any provision(s) relating to arbitration, disclaimer, waiver of liability or any other rights and obligations set forth herein is not permissible or enforceable under foreign laws as applied to users from such foreign jurisdictions, each such provision shall be deemed removed and invalid, but all remaining provisions shall be in full force and effect.
Disputes with Others
We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor and/or manage disputes between you and other users of the Services. If you have a dispute with other users, you release the Company and hereby agree to indemnify the Company from claims, demands, and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of, or in any way connected with, such a dispute.
Please read this Arbitration Agreement carefully. It is part of your contract with Company and affects your rights. It contains procedures for MANDATORY BINDING ARBITRATION AND A CLASS ACTION WAIVER.
(a) Applicability of Arbitration Agreement. All claims and disputes (excluding claims for injunctive or other equitable relief as set forth below) in connection with the Terms or the use of any product or service provided by the Company that cannot be resolved informally or in small claims court shall be resolved by binding arbitration on an individual basis under the terms of this Arbitration Agreement. Unless otherwise agreed to, all arbitration proceedings shall be held in English. This Arbitration Agreement applies to you and the Company, and to any subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, employees, predecessors in interest, successors, and assigns, as well as all authorized or unauthorized users or beneficiaries of services or goods provided under the Terms.
(b) Notice Requirement and Informal Dispute Resolution. Before either party may seek arbitration, the party must first send to the other party a written Notice of Dispute (“Notice”) describing the nature and basis of the claim or dispute, and the requested relief. A Notice to the Company should be sent to: 1440 G St NW, Washington, District Of Columbia 20005. After the Notice is received, you and the Company may attempt to resolve the claim or dispute informally. If you and the Company do not resolve the claim or dispute within thirty (30) days after the Notice is received, either party may begin an arbitration proceeding. The amount of any settlement offer made by any party may not be disclosed to the arbitrator until after the arbitrator has determined the amount of the award, if any, to which either party is entitled.
(c) Arbitration Rules. Arbitration shall be initiated through the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), an established alternative dispute resolution provider (“ADR Provider”) that offers arbitration as set forth in this section. If AAA is not available to arbitrate, the parties shall agree to select an alternative ADR Provider. The rules of the ADR Provider shall govern all aspects of the arbitration, including but not limited to the method of initiating and/or demanding arbitration, except to the extent such rules are in conflict with the Terms. The AAA Consumer Arbitration Rules (“Arbitration Rules”) governing the arbitration are available online at www.adr.org or by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879. The arbitration shall be conducted by a single, neutral arbitrator. Any claims or disputes where the total amount of the award sought is less than Ten Thousand U.S. Dollars (US $10,000.00) may be resolved through binding non-appearance-based arbitration, at the option of the party seeking relief. For claims or disputes where the total amount of the award sought is Ten Thousand U.S. Dollars (US $10,000.00) or more, the right to a hearing will be determined by the Arbitration Rules. Any hearing will be held in a location within 100 miles of your residence, unless you reside outside of the United States, and unless the parties agree otherwise. If you reside outside of the U.S., the arbitrator shall give the parties reasonable notice of the date, time and place of any oral hearings. Any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction. If the arbitrator grants you an award that is greater than the last settlement offer that the Company made to you prior to the initiation of arbitration, the Company will pay you the greater of the award or $2,500.00. Each party shall bear its own costs (including attorney’s fees) and disbursements arising out of the arbitration and shall pay an equal share of the fees and costs of the ADR Provider.
(d) Additional Rules for Non-Appearance Based Arbitration. If non-appearance based arbitration is elected, the arbitration shall be conducted by telephone, online and/or based solely on written submissions; the specific manner shall be chosen by the party initiating the arbitration. The arbitration shall not involve any personal appearance by the parties or witnesses unless otherwise agreed by the parties.
(e) Time Limits. If you or the Company pursue arbitration, the arbitration action must be initiated and/or demanded within the statute of limitations (i.e., the legal deadline for filing a claim) and within any deadline imposed under the AAA Rules for the pertinent claim.
(f) Authority of Arbitrator. If arbitration is initiated, the arbitrator will decide the rights and liabilities, if any, of you and the Company, and the dispute will not be consolidated with any other matters or joined with any other cases or parties. The arbitrator shall have the authority to grant motions dispositive of all or part of any claim. The arbitrator shall have the authority to award monetary damages, and to grant any non-monetary remedy or relief available to an individual under applicable law, the AAA Rules, and the Terms. The arbitrator shall issue a written award and statement of decision describing the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based, including the calculation of any damages awarded. The arbitrator has the same authority to award relief on an individual basis that a judge in a court of law would have. The award of the arbitrator is final and binding upon you and the Company.
(g) Waiver of Jury Trial. THE PARTIES HEREBY WAIVE THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL AND STATUTORY RIGHTS TO GO TO COURT AND HAVE A TRIAL IN FRONT OF A JUDGE OR A JURY, instead electing that all claims and disputes shall be resolved by arbitration under this Arbitration Agreement. Arbitration procedures are typically more limited, more efficient and less costly than rules applicable in a court and are subject to very limited review by a court. In the event any litigation should arise between you and the Company in any state or federal court in a suit to vacate or enforce an arbitration award or otherwise, YOU AND THE COMPANY WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO A JURY TRIAL, instead electing that the dispute be resolved by a judge.
(h) Waiver of Class or Consolidated Actions. ALL CLAIMS AND DISPUTES WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT MUST BE ARBITRATED OR LITIGATED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT ON A CLASS BASIS, AND CLAIMS OF MORE THAN ONE CUSTOMER OR USER CANNOT BE ARBITRATED OR LITIGATED JOINTLY OR CONSOLIDATED WITH THOSE OF ANY OTHER CUSTOMER OR USER.
(i) Confidentiality. All aspects of the arbitration proceeding, including but not limited to the award of the arbitrator and compliance therewith, shall be strictly confidential. The parties agree to maintain confidentiality unless otherwise required by law. This paragraph shall not prevent a party from submitting to a court of law any information necessary to enforce this Agreement, to enforce an arbitration award, or to seek injunctive or equitable relief.
(j) Severability. If any part or parts of this Arbitration Agreement are found under the law to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, then such specific part or parts shall be of no force and effect and shall be severed and the remainder of the Agreement shall continue in full force and effect.
(k) Right to Waive. Any or all of the rights and limitations set forth in this Arbitration Agreement may be waived by the party against whom the claim is asserted. Such waiver shall not waive or affect any other portion of this Arbitration Agreement.
(l) Survival of Agreement. This Arbitration Agreement will survive the termination of your relationship with Company.
(m) Small Claims Court. Notwithstanding the foregoing, either you or the Company may bring an individual action in small claims court.
(n) Emergency Equitable Relief. Notwithstanding the foregoing, either party may seek emergency equitable relief before a state or federal court in order to maintain the status quo pending arbitration. A request for interim measures shall not be deemed a waiver of any other rights or obligations under this Arbitration Agreement.
(o) Claims Not Subject to Arbitration. Notwithstanding the foregoing, claims of defamation, violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and infringement or misappropriation of the other party’s patent, copyright, trademark or trade secrets shall not be subject to this Arbitration Agreement.
(p) Courts. In any circumstances where the foregoing Arbitration Agreement permits the parties to litigate in court, the parties hereby agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located within the District of Columbia for such purpose.
Availability of Services
The Company operates and controls the Services from its offices in the United States. The Company makes no representation that the Services are appropriate or available in other locations. The information provided on or through the Services is not intended for distribution to or use by any person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation or which would subject the Company to any registration requirement within such jurisdiction or country. Accordingly, those persons who choose to access the Services from other locations do so on their own initiative and are solely responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable.
The Site may be subject to U.S. export control laws and may be subject to export or import regulations in other countries. You agree not to export, reexport, or transfer, directly or indirectly, any U.S. technical data acquired from Company, or any products utilizing such data, in violation of the United States export laws or regulations.
You acknowledge that the rights granted and obligations made hereunder to the Company are of a unique and irreplaceable nature, the loss of which shall irreparably harm the Company and which cannot be replaced by monetary damages alone, so that the Company shall be entitled to injunctive or other equitable relief (without the obligations of posting any bond or surety) in the event of any breach or anticipatory breach by you. You irrevocably waive all rights to seek injunctive or other equitable relief and agree to limit your claims to claims for monetary damages (if any).
Amendments to this Agreement
We may amend this Agreement at any time in our sole discretion, effective upon posting the amended Terms of Service at the domain of union.vc where the prior version of this Agreement was posted or by communicating these changes through any written or other contact method we have established with you. Your use of the Services following the date on which such amended Terms are published will constitute consent to such amendments. Neither the course of conduct between the parties nor trade practice will act to modify this Agreement.
Venue and Governing Law
This Agreement and all aspects of the Services shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the United States and the State of Delaware governing contracts entered into and to be fully performed in Delaware (i.e., without regard to conflict of law’s provisions) regardless of your location except that Section 10 (Arbitration) of this Agreement shall be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act. For the purpose of any judicial proceeding to enforce an arbitration award or incidental to such arbitration or to compel arbitration, or if for any reason a claim proceeds in court rather than in arbitration, you hereby submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the state and Federal courts sitting in the District of Columbia and agree that service of process in such arbitration or court proceedings shall be satisfactorily made upon a party if sent by certified, express or registered mail addressed to it at the address set forth in the books and records of the Company, or if no such address has been provided, by email to the email address provided by the relevant party to the Company in connection with its use of the Services. With respect to any Disputes not subject to informal dispute resolution or arbitration (as set forth above), you agree not to commence or prosecute any action in connection therewith other than in the state and federal courts located in District of Columbia, and you hereby consent to, and waive all defenses of lack of personal jurisdiction and forum non conveniens with respect to, venue and jurisdiction in the state and federal courts located in District of Columbia. To the extent non-U.S. laws mandate a different approach with respect to governing law, venue, statute of limitation, and dispute resolution method with respect to certain non-U.S. persons, each such required standard shall be applied, but all other provisions under this section shall remain in full force.
Waiver and Severability
The failure of the Company to require or enforce strict performance by you of any provision of this Agreement or to exercise any right under this Agreement shall not be construed as a waiver or relinquishment of the Company’s right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance. In fact, the Company may choose to enforce certain portions of this Agreement more strictly or to interpret certain provisions more strictly against certain users than it does against users in general, and such disparate treatment shall not be grounds for failing to comply with all this Agreement as so interpreted.
You and the Company agree that if any portion of this Agreement, except any portion of Section 10 is found illegal or unenforceable, in whole or in part by any court of competent jurisdiction, such provision shall, as to such jurisdiction, be ineffective to the extent of such determination of invalidity or unenforceability without affecting the validity or enforceability thereof in any other manner or jurisdiction and without affecting the remaining provisions of this Agreement, which shall continue to be in full force and effect. If Section 10 is found to be illegal or unenforceable, then neither you nor the Company will elect to arbitrate any Dispute falling within that portion of Section 10 found to be illegal or unenforceable and such Dispute shall be decided by a court of competent jurisdiction within the District of Columbia and you and the Company agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of that court.
Section Headings; Verification Documentation; Waiver of Execution Defenses
The section headings used herein are for convenience only and shall not be given any legal import. Upon the Company’s request, you will furnish the Company any documentation, substantiation or releases necessary to verify your compliance with this Agreement. You agree that this Agreement will not be construed against the Company by virtue of having drafted them. You hereby waive any and all defenses you may have based on the electronic form of this Agreement and the lack of signing by the parties hereto to execute this Agreement.
Prohibition of Assignment
You may not assign this Agreement without the Company’s prior written consent.
This Agreement contains the entire understanding of you and the Company, and supersedes all prior understandings of the parties hereto relating to the subject matter hereof, and cannot be changed or modified by you except as posted on the Services by the Company. No waiver by either party of any breach or default hereunder shall be deemed to be a waiver of any preceding or subsequent breach or default.
“Community Rules”: Participants in the Union community will not, in connection with the Services:
- defame, libel, disparage, threaten, harass or intimidate anyone, including by the use of offensive comments related to race, national origin, gender, sexual preference or physical handicap;
- use any profane, obscene, pornographic or otherwise objectionable content or language;
- promote or describe how to perform violence, illegal drug or substance abuse, or any other illegal activity;
- violate the personal, privacy, contractual, intellectual property or other rights of any person;
- reveal, with respect to personal or privacy rights, any personal information about another individual, including an address, phone number, email address, credit card number or other information that could be used to track, contact or impersonate that individual;
- violate this Agreement or any local, state, federal or non-U.S. law, rule or regulation;
- trick, defraud, deceive or mislead the Company or other users, such as by submitting false reports of abuse or misconduct to the Company’s support services, disguising the source of materials or other information you submit to the Services or using tools which anonymize your Internet protocol address to access the Services;
- interfere with or disrupt (or attempt to interfere with or disrupt) access and enjoyment of the Services of other users or any host or network, including, without limitation, creating or transmitting unwanted electronic communications such as “spam” to other users, overloading, flooding or mail-bombing the Services, or scripting the creation of Content in such a manner as to interfere with or create an undue burden on the Services;
- disparage, tarnish or otherwise harm, in the Company’s opinion, the Company and/or the Services;
- upload or transmit (or attempt to upload or transmit) any material that acts as a passive or active information collection or transmission mechanism, such as viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware, adware or any other malicious or invasive code or program;
- reverse engineer, decompile, reverse assemble, modify or attempt to discover or copy any software, source code or structure that the Services utilize to generate web pages or any software or other products or processes accessible through the Services;
- access or search (or attempt to access or search) the Services by any means, such as any automated system or unauthorized script or software, other than currently available, published interfaces provide by Union, unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate Agreement with Union (note crawling the Services is permissible in accordance with this Agreement, but scraping the Services is expressly prohibited without the prior consent of Union);
- remove, obscure or change any copyright, trademark, hyperlink or other proprietary rights notices contained in or on the Services or any website on which the Services are offered or on a third party website and/or Company software on which Company code is embeddable or embedded on;
- remove, obscure or change any notice, banner, advertisement or other branding on the Services;
- submit any Content or material that falsely expresses or implies that such Content or material is sponsored or endorsed by the Company;
- interfere with or circumvent any security feature of the Services or any feature that restricts or enforces limitations on use of or access to the Services, such as probing or scanning the vulnerability of any system, network or breach; or
- sell access to the Services or any part thereof other than through a mechanism approved by the Company.
- “Content” means any information, text, graphics or other materials uploaded, downloaded or otherwise appearing on the Services. You retain ownership of all Content you submit, post, display or otherwise make available on the Services.
- “Locked Information” means, all information acquired by, through or in connection with your use of the Services or the Site that was provided by another person and which is identified as “Locked” in any manner reasonably designed to identify the character of such information.
- The Company is an entity offering the transmission, routing or providing of connections for digital online communications, between or among points specified by a user of material of the user’s choosing, without modification of the content of the material sent or received, providing educational content provided by the Company or User submitted, as well as system caching, storage of material residing on a system or network at the direction of a user, and referral or linkage of users to an online location using information location tools, each through the Site located at http://union.vc and any linked pages or applications owned and operated by the Company.
The Services are operated and provided by Union PBC, 1440 G St NW Washington, DC 20005. If you have questions about this Agreement, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: April 17, 2017
Information We Collect and How We Use It
Union uses personal information we collect to provide the Services, personalize content, remember information to help you efficiently access your account, analyze how the Services are used, diagnose service or technical problems, maintain security, monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, demographic patterns, and effectiveness of programs, promote challenges, recommend opportunities or connections, and to comply with applicable laws.
Information You Directly Provide to Us
There are many occasions when you provide information that may enable us to identify you personally (“Personally Identifiable Information”) while using the Services, such as when you sign up for an account, provide payment instructions, provide us with access to your profiles on third party sites, or provide us with business metrics in response to questions or to fill out profile information. Personally Identifiable Information may include your email address, name, phone number, birthday, age, address, business metrics, and your educational or professional history.
We may use your email address to send you Services-related notices, including any notices required by law, in lieu of communication by postal mail. You can control receipt of certain Services-related messages by contacting email@example.com. We may also use your contact information to send you marketing messages. If you do not want to receive such messages, you may opt out by following the instructions in the message. If you correspond through our Messages function or with us by email, we may retain the content of your email messages, your email address and our responses.
You also provide us information in user Content you post to the Services. Your questions, answers, and other contributions on the Services, and metadata about them (such as when you posted them), are viewable on the Services, along with your name or company. This information may be searched by search engines and be republished elsewhere on the Internet in accordance with our Terms of Service.
If you invite an employee of your company or other contact to the Services, we will ask you for that person’s email address and automatically send an email invitation. Union stores this information to send this email and to register your contact if your invitation is accepted.
What You Automatically Provide To Us When You Use the Service
Union may use Google Analytics to help understand use of the Services. Google Analytics collects the information sent by your browser as part of a web page request, including cookies and your IP address. Google Analytics also receives this information and its use of it is governed by their respective privacy policies.
How We Use Your Information
- to deliver and improve our Services;
- to manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- to perform research and analysis about your use or effect of the Services;
- to develop, display, and track Content and advertising tailored to your interests on the Services and other sites or mobile applications;
- website or mobile application analytics;
- to diagnose or fix technology problems;
- to verify your identify and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity;
- to enforce or exercise any rights in our Terms of Service,
- and to perform functions or services as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or is needed to provide you the Services and may retain Data after you discontinue use of the Services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to provide services or marketing, and to enforce our agreements.
How We Share Your Information
Personally Identifiable Information
Your name and other information you choose to add to your profile will be available for public viewing on the Service, unless otherwise specified. If you are a Startup User, most of your Content will be accessible to other users. Union may ask you questions in your profile or in response to viewing curriculum content, meeting with mentors, or attending an event. Unless otherwise indicated, this information may be viewable by other Users in the Union network. We do not control what users who are allowed to see your information will do with it. If you want your information to remain private, don’t make it available to other users on our Site. If you are a Corporate User, your Content such as profile information, discussions or Challenge information may be viewable by other Users of Union.
By your Community Administrators
Community Administrators are your network’s employees though who you’ve signed up (and all networks that you are a member of or have been). Community Administrators have access to all information you provide Union, including requested connections, message activity, discussions, Content, business metrics, feedback from or about mentors or other Users, and usage data.
Mentors have access to your public profile information, publicly available discussions, your responses to questions related to the specific office hour you signed up for, or other information you voluntarily share with the Mentor.
As we develop our business, we may buy or sell businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event, Personally Identifiable Information may be part of the transferred assets.
Union may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or subpoena or if we believe that it is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety of any person; to address fraud, security or technical issues; or to protect Union’s rights or property.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information
Interested Third Parties
We may share non-personally identifiable information (such as aggregated and anonymous business data, demographics, anonymous usage data, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.) with interested third parties to help them understand the usage patterns or effects of certain Union services.
Union may allow third-parties to advertise perks, challenges, or other opportunities through the platform. These third-parties may be able to send you information based on non-personally identifiable information.
How We Protect Your Information
Union uses industry-standard physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Union or guarantee that your information on the Services may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by a breach of any of our physical, managerial, or technical safeguards.
Your Choices About Your Information
You may, of course, decline to submit Personally Identifiable Information through the Services, in which case Union may not be able to provide certain services to you. In addition, you may update or correct your account information and email preferences at any time by logging in to your account.
If you would like us to remove your Personally Identifiable Information from our database, please send a request to:
We are not responsible for revising or removing your Personally Identifiable Information obtained by any third party who has previously been provided your information by us in accordance with this policy or any third party to whom you have provided such information (whether by sharing your login and password, or otherwise).
Links to Other Web Sites
Where We Store Your Information
How to Contact Us
or send mail to:
1440 G St NW
Washington, DC 20005